Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review: It's the Little Things You Do.

It's the Little Things You Do.
Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life by Shauna Niequist

I'm in love with the simple truths found in this book. Each chapter is a little nugget worth more than I know. It was a billboard-size reminder of the legendary truth that God actually is really involved in the little things of each day and for that I am forever grateful.

One thing that I can say about 2011 is that I found God in the little things. Yes, He's always been there but it was this year that He won me over by using the little things that mean a lot to me to show me just how much He cared. He knows my heart so well. If you're asking what the little things are, then it's hard to explain. For me, it's finding a great book that fits the season of my life at a Thrift Store for cheap. Or it's catching the red light just to be in perfect view of the setting Sun. It's those things that mean a lot to me that I know He does just to say, "Courtney, I know that you love these things. I love you so much that I care about the things that you care."

So without a doubt, I know that it's in the little things that You do that You win me over -- again & again. Once again, it reminds me that You are not some cosmic being that is univolved in my life. It's in the little things that You confirm that You really are real. That You are closer than I know. & more importantly, You show that You love me in a deep and personal way. Like a good Lover, You know the way to my heart. So thank You for the little things because without them, I would believe so many lies about You.

My favorite chapters in this book were Happy Thanksgiving and Writing in Pencil. Below is a link to an excerpt from Writing in Pencil.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PXoddv8ejWgC&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=write+in+pencil+by+shauna+niequist&source=bl&ots=45laD9z8l5&sig=QrtV2TWXwhvG9jeZS5Dwng1qjgY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_Of_TuuRN82Utwets4i-Bw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

No comments: