Sunday, March 29, 2009

HA Reflection Paper on Contemporary Issues:: Drinking

[ March 29, 2009 ]



Not given to wine, not combative but gentle and considerate, not quarrelsome but forbearing and peaceable, and not a lover of money [insatiable for wealth and ready to obtain it by questionable means].
1 Timothy 3:3I love the book of 1st Timothy where it lists the qualities of an overseer. I want to live a life worthy of the standards that it lays out. I want to be above reproach, but what does that mean or even look like?! The Lord is really shaping a lot of my ideas on ‘Contemporary Issues’ as I read more in His word. I want my life to align with it so much. As of right now, I do not have a firm stance on any given topic but I do know that I am heavily leaning towards the spirit behind all of what my stances will look like. Overall, I know that it is not what we do that matters but why we do it. That is how we escape legalism and other such things.
Drinkng
Furthermore, he must have a good reputation and be well thought of by those outside [the church], lest he become involved in slander and incur reproach and fall into the devil's trap. In like manner the deacons [must be] worthy of respect, not shifty and double-talkers but sincere in what they say, not given to much wine, not greedy for base gain [craving wealth and resorting to ignoble and dishonest methods of getting it].
1 Timothy 3:7-8

Drinking
As of right now, when I become of age I will drink wine on occasion. Occasions like for the practice of Jewish traditions or for Communion, or discretely for the sake of covenant between my husband and me in the chambers of our own home. Of course, I will stray far away from drunkenness but I my desire is to be an example of self-control to those who I influence. I do not want to be ‘given to wine’ in the sense that it owns or masters me. I think that my drinking of wine will not be a public thing but an intimate thing among those I love (husband, family and friends) as well as for somber moments for the glory of the Lord. All will be done with moderation.
“Overall, the Bible reveals a theology in which each individual is subject to a renewed spiritual conscience, responsible to God for his actions in light of such. We are not governed by the consciences of others, but are bound instead by the will of our beloved Lord. To deny another believer’s ability to respond to the leading of the Lord is the essence of legalism and a denial of the very freedom for which he was saved.” (Geoff Ashley, Pastor at the Village Church) To this I concur. I believe that my actions will affect those that I lead therefore I desire to present myself as one who walks out in the Spirit and not in the flesh. One who walks out in the flesh can not be trusted but one who is evidently walking in the Spirit or someone the unbeliever gives a good reputation towards (thinks well towards) can live with moderation. May my actions and life declare that it is possible by the grace of God to live with self-control and to enjoy wine. Personally, I am convicted that anything other than wine is not up for consumption. Wine is my limit. “Alcohol was created by God to be enjoyed within limits by His creatures. It can be used as an element in worship, celebration, thanksgiving, and partying, all of which are appropriate and God-honoring responses of the believer. Furthermore, science has evidenced and Scripture implies that moderate alcohol consumption can even have medicinal value. (1 Timothy 5:23) Some people will find that they are too susceptible to excess in order to worshipfully partake in moderation and will therefore be led toward a position of absolute abstinence. This is good in the sight of the Lord! Some will find that any consumption, within the confines of their unique circumstances, would result in a compromised witness and will therefore sacrificially refrain. This is good in the sight of the Lord! Some will find moderation to be acceptable to their conscience and circumstances and will therefore joyfully drink in such a manner. This is good in the sight of the Lord! None of the above positions are more holy or sinful than the others. Rather, all are expressions of the leading of the Spirit within a renewed heart and mind and should be embraced as such.” (Geoff Ashley, Pastor at the Village Church)


All of my other stances run the same lines as this. All that I do, I want to glorify God. If I am in the room with a past alcoholic who struggles I will pray for them to continue to see victory and refrain. As for my own home, close friendships, and traditions towards my God, I will live a life worthy of the calling that He has placed on me.
SCRIPTURE refrences:
Not given to wine, not combative but gentle and considerate, not quarrelsome but forbearing and peaceable, and not a lover of money [insatiable for wealth and ready to obtain it by questionable means].
1 Timothy 3:3
Furthermore, he must have a good reputation and be well thought of by those outside [the church], lest he become involved in slander and incur reproach and fall into the devil's trap. In like manner the deacons [must be] worthy of respect, not shifty and double-talkers but sincere in what they say, not given to much wine, not greedy for base gain [craving wealth and resorting to ignoble and dishonest methods of getting it].
1 Timothy 3:7-8

No comments: