Sunday, March 29, 2009

HA Reflection Paper on Peak Challenge::Mountain Climb

[March 5, 2009]

Reflecting back on our journey to Big Bend, I am so glad that I ended up going. In preparation for the climb, the Lord definitely pushed me a lot. I can see the Lord teaching me “endurance” in many areas of my life and I am sure that corporate is one of His most favorite arenas to do this!
Previous to leaving for the mountain I was having some health issues and that caused me to contemplate not going on the hike. This was a difficult discussion because I definitely wanted the experience with my core but I didn’t trust the challenge. In the end the Lord had His way and the challenge of just choosing to go resulted in an increase of faith. But He is good like that!
Apart from my memories with my core, I had many lasting memories with the Lord. Times like when I gazed upon the canyons before me, He reminded me of how little and minute man is compared to Him. In that, He touched on the pride in my life as He declared how gross it is! My eyes were opened to it as He showed me how one with pride is like a man who stands before those canyons and declares to be big and mighty. How many times have I done that before?! Yep, that beautiful site brought some good conviction! The majority of my moments of revelation with the Lord were just simple calls to obedience when He was speaking.
One example of this was when we began our hike up the trail in the dark hours of the early morning. As the first one in the line, it was an intimidating thing to continue moving on when there were countless signs cautioning against mountain lion and mountain bear activity! Caution is one thing, but then it moved to instructions on how to react when seeing them. So, in those moments I had to chose to either grip onto fear and risk scaring all the others in my core (who were quite frankly smaller than me and more girly J ) OR I could trust the Lord and remember His promises. A lot easier said than done, but I did end up moving on. And needless to say, I am alive and well with no attacks from bears and lions!
Throughout the whole hike, I really enjoyed myself. I am convinced that the Lord and I thrive in nature settings! Deep inside, I felt like a mountain woman and I am sure that I probably looked like one too! Overall, this was a great experience with both the Lord and my core as we bonded in a greater way and were all tested in many areas. It was great to see different sides of each other—the thriving side and the ugly side. But all of the trails and trials were equally as beautiful!

No comments: